February 23, 2024
If it’s been a long time since you’ve had the roof replaced on your home or business, you may be considering investing inroof replacement or repairs. However, determining whether to repair it or replace it can be difficult without knowing the warning signs to look for. That’s why the team of Fayetteville, NC, roof repair experts from Advanced Roofing Solutionshas collected some insightful tips for you here.
5 Clear Signs You’re in Need of Roof Replacement
- Age: If you can’t remember the last time you replaced your roof or it’s been around 15 years, it may be time for a replacement. Typically, a well-built roof can last anywhere from 15-20, then begins showing signs of wear and tear.
- Visible Damage: If there are visible signs of roof damage, like missing, curled, or cracked shingles, it’s probably best to replace your roof to avoid costly leaks and structural damage.
- Leaks & Water Damage: When there are clear signs of water damage, such as mold or mildew or slow leaks in the attic or you notice water stains in your home, roof replacement is a must.
- Pest Infestations: Suffering a pest infestation on your roof can be particularly damaging, especially if termites, rodents, or other animals have made their home inside your roof. Often, this will call for an entirely new roof to repair the damage done by pests.
- Flashing Damage: Your roof flashing helps maintain the structural integrity of your roof and roof deck and any damaged or leaky flashing can result in costly repairs, which is why in most cases professionals may recommend roof replacement.
When to Replace Your Roof Based on Your Roof Type
Although components like maintenance and the materials used will play a large role in when to invest in roof replacement services, there are some averages to be aware of when it comes to how long particular types of roofs last. We’ve collected them below:
- Asphalt Shingles: 15-20 years
- Wood & Shake Shingles: 30-50 years
- Metal Roofs: 40-80 years
- Slate Roofs: 50-75 years
- Clay Tiles: 50-100 years
When to Repair & When to Replace
Determining whether you need simple roof repairs, or a full replacement can often be difficult. However, if your roof has suffered damage from extreme weather like high winds or hail, a few simple repairs will often do the trick. But in such cases, it’s always best to consult a roofing professional for a full inspection to determine whether a full replacement is needed or solely repairs.
Contact us for roof repair in Fayetteville, NC, and more
If your roof has seen better days, contact our certified roofing team online today or call 1 (910) 988-8245.