February 23, 2024
The deterioration of metal roofs is a frequent issue for owners of commercial, industrial, and residential buildings, potentially resulting in substantial maintenance costs if neglected. We at Advanced Roofing Solutions, a professional provider of metal roofing services, give insight into the array of choices at your disposal to rejuvenate and renew your aging metal roof.
What Are the Options for Metal Roofing Services?
Metal roofing systems offer a great choice for new constructions due to their structural integrity, resilience against the elements, and extended lifespan. However, over time, aging metal roofs can develop issues like missing fasteners, deteriorated sealants, corrosion, and damage from thermal expansion. At a certain point, basic repairs become inadequate, and investing in a long-term solution becomes necessary.
When determining the best approach for your aging metal roof, several factors come into play, including your budget, the severity of problems, and your building’s specific requirements. To assist you in making an informed decision, we will examine the advantages of four primary options for metal roofing:
- Removal and Replacement
- Installation of a Single-Ply Retrofit System Over the Existing Metal
- Installation of a Metal Panel Retrofit System Over the Existing Metal
By gaining insight into the advantages of each option, you can select the one that aligns best with your building’s needs. Throughout this article, we will provide a comprehensive overview of each metal roofing solution, subtly highlighting the benefits of metal retrofitting as the optimal choice for aging metal roofs.
1. Metal Roof Removal and Replacement
In cases where building owners encounter substantial problems with their metal roofs, such as extensive decay or compromised structural stability, it might become imperative to opt for a total removal and replacement of the current roofing system. This approach entails the removal of the old metal roof and the installation of an entirely new metal roofing system, providing a clean slate and enduring safeguard for your structure.
Executing the removal and replacement of a metal roof demands meticulous planning and implementation. It also necessitates taking into account various factors, including adherence to building codes, meeting insulation needs, and ensuring compatibility with the existing structure. Here are a few advantages to having your metal roof removed and replaced:
- The removal and replacement method tackles significant issues like severe deterioration and structural compromise.
- A new metal roof ensures prolonged protection, guaranteeing your building’s safety for years.
- This choice offers a fresh start by replacing old, worn roofing materials with high-quality metal panels.
2. Metal Roof Coating
Applying a protective coating stands out as one of the most economical solutions for tackling issues related to aging metal roofs. Coating systems are purposefully designed to offer an added layer of protection against the elements, effectively prolonging the lifespan of your metal roof while addressing minor concerns like rust and minor leaks.
Typically, the coating procedure encompasses a thorough cleaning of the metal roof surface, succeeded by the application of a primer and a specialized coating material. These materials are specifically formulated to adhere to the metal surface, creating a water-tight seal and enhancing resistance against corrosion and weathering. Various coatings are available on the market, each serving distinct purposes. Below are some advantages of metal roof coating:
- Coatings are budget-friendly, making them perfect for building owners handling minor issues economically.
- Coating systems can prevent rust and seal small leaks, improving metal roof performance.
- Some coatings boost solar reflectance, cutting energy consumption and cooling expenses for your building.
3. Installation of a Single-Ply Retrofit System Over the Existing Metal
For building owners in search of a flexible and dependable remedy to resolve the problems plaguing their aging metal roofs, a single-ply membrane retrofit could prove to be the solution. This choice entails the application of insulation layers to create a seamless roof surface, followed by the installation of a high-performance membrane over the existing metal roof. This additional layer of protection effectively addresses a wide range of significant roofing issues, accompanied by several other benefits.
The process of retrofitting with a membrane entails a comprehensive assessment of the current roof, the careful selection of the appropriate membrane, and precise installation to ensure a successful and effective outcome. Some advantages of installing a single-ply membrane are as follows:
- Membrane retrofit systems are engineered to tackle various issues, including leaks, rust, and failing flashings.
- Typically, membrane retrofit warranties cover roof leaks and often come with no-dollar-limit coverage, ensuring peace of mind for building owners.
- Installing a membrane retrofit system adds insulation, improving energy efficiency.
- Opting for a white membrane can boost roof reflectivity and emissivity, potentially lowering energy consumption and cooling costs.
- The retrofit process safeguards your building from weather conditions during installation.
- Membrane retrofit systems excel at sealing roof penetrations, delivering a watertight solution.
4. Installation of a Metal Panel Retrofit System Over the Existing Metal
Building owners looking to preserve the aesthetics of a metal roof while dealing with substantial roofing problems may find a metal panel retrofit system to be a fitting solution. This approach entails the installation of a fresh metal panel system over the existing metal roof, offering added protection without the necessity of a complete removal and replacement.
The metal panel retrofit procedure necessitates a thorough evaluation of the current roof structure and meticulous planning for the design and installation of a new metal panel system that seamlessly integrates with the existing setup. We outline several advantages of metal panel retrofitting below:
- The retrofit process avoids removing the existing roof, safeguarding the building during installation.
- Cost-effective and less labor-intensive than replacement, it appeals to owners seeking affordability.
- Similar to a full replacement, this system offers a lengthy lifespan, ensuring dependable protection.
- It effectively tackles significant problems like leaks and deteriorating panels.
- A metal panel retrofit system maintains the visual appeal of metal roofing, an important consideration for some building owners.
Schedule a Free Quote on Metal Roofing Services with Advanced Roofing Solutions
Advanced Roofing Solutions is a trusted roofing company when it comes to providing professional roofing services to homes and businesses. Whether it’s metal roof replacement or asphalt shingle roof inspection, you can count on our team. Contact us for a free estimate!